Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Stone Carving in Mexico



I love working with stone but I am not a stone carver,
but I certainly love carved stone.

(Please note: to see a reworking of this post go to Carved Stone In Mexico.)

 In our travels around Mexico in the last couple of years we
 have run across some beautiful work that I would like to share.


These first three photos were taken in Tzintzuntzan, Michoacan
 just north of Patzcuaro.




The fellow above was working in Guanajuato, Guanajuato.


I don't know If the pieces in these photos were his
 but they were right next door to each other.


Much of the work in the first three photos 
had a very whimsical quality to them,


Where as these are more religious and serious.




Above and the two details below are from the 
Templo del Senor de Villaseca also in Guanajuato.






And finally this is in Zacatcas, Zacatecas.